Thursday, November 11, 2010

A Direction the Class Needs

My blogging this year is because of my third period American Literature class. My teacher, Mr. McCarthy, is having us blog once a week as an assignment instead of writing essays or typical writing assignments. I really enjoy this class - and I'm not just saying that to suck up, I truly do. Although it is a fun and more free form class, I believe there could be some changes to the class.

First of all, I don't see many problems with the class. We receive a fair amount of homework and do enough class work to help us understand the concepts being taught. One thing I think needs a change is the amount of reading we are assigned at a time. Usually, we are assigned at least 25-50 pages of reading a night, sometimes more. This may not seem like a lot, but when you can up to six other classes with assigned homework, not to mention projects, tests to study for, and extra curricular activities, it can seem like a load.

Besides the sometimes monotonous amounts of reading, the class is good. As students, we are given much more freedoms than in other classes, such as being able to sit wherever we would like and work with partners we are allowed to choose, which is a refreshing change. I hope the class remains the same all year because I am really enjoying third period American Literature.

4 comments:

  1. I agree. I don't like the reading. Especially books that have a slow plot line.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gordon, it's not my fault that he wants to run you over with his van.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Talking about slow plot line.. I heard you guys are reading House of the Seven Gables.. Does that have a slow plot line? I mean our class is reading the Scalet Letter by the same author and the story is awfully dry. =[

    ReplyDelete