Thursday, September 23, 2010

Sinners in the Hands of Angry God

        Sinners in the hands of Angry God. I am sure you are all very aware of the words of colonial american preachers.. Kidding.

We recently read a passage in our textbooks with the respective title. Johnathon Edwards preached this moments piece on July 8, 1741. He portrays a completely different image of God than what I have grown up knowing. I have grown up following the Catholic depiction of God; a God who forgives, a God who understands, a God who loves. Edwards preaches of a much different image of God; a powerful master who holds your life in his hands, who is willing to drop you any minute. According to Edwards, God "is not only able to cast wicked men into hell, but he can most easily do it." His goal is to see you slip and fall, to drop you out of his palm. If you do not follow the strict lifestyle of God, which Puritans like Johnathon Edwards believed in, he will easily cast you into hell.

I find this exaggeration extremely preposterous. If I was a young Puritan listening to Edwards during a church sermon, I would be terrified! not only am I forced to follow this simple, theocratic lifestyle, but if I fail to, I will be banished to the deepest abyss of hell. This opinion may be influenced by today's society but this intensely serious doctrine would give me chills.

And "Angry God?" Seriously? The last thing God should be is angry. He is God. He has nothing to be angry about.

2 comments:

  1. This is very good I like the picture a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice picture.
    I kinda wish it was a bit bigger but we can't pick and choose.

    ReplyDelete